Skip to main content

Blogilkar Guest Review: RAFAEL DE ALBA


Here we have it, the first and hopefully not the last review of this year's songs. Rafael de Alba has kindly reviewed the songs once again for my blog. As a long time Eurovision fan and songwriter (remember this? Or this? And what about this / that?) he shares his thoughts and predictions of the Eurovision song contest 2012 edition. Here you go:

Dear readers,
it gives me great pleasure to share my appreciation of this year’s songs with you all. The chances are, I will probably get it all wrong again!

Semifinal 1

Albania – Its melancholic build-up works for me. Her voice is sublime: torn like Björk’s, capable like Yma Sumac’s. It won’t win because it has to grow on the listener, but it is about time Albania’s sweet eccentricity gets recognized this time around. 5

Austria – I really don’t mind rap, really! but I find this performance incredibly vulgar. I do hope it doesn’t get through. 1

Belgium – I suspect it will take a better song for Belgium to break the spell as they did with just a man and his guitar. Pleasant performance, but it doesn’t provide the required impact. 2

Cyprus – sounds like one of those overproduced nineties’ Latin compilations full of Bisbal tunes. Whilst I think it will get the audience going, I don’t see Cyprus winning this year either. 3

Denmark – Similar effect in me to Anna Bergendahl’s song, though I hope she has better luck. Deserves a decent place. 4

Finland – now, this one is growing on me, as it feels so authentic and Nordic. The melody keeps unresolved throughout, which I quite like. Unfortunately it warrants listening to it several times to appreciate its value and there are so many more songs on the night… 3

Greece – Greek pop, powerful pop, predictable pop. The whole of Europe could conjure together for once and vote en mass to Greece, just for the fun of seeing them organize next year’s Eurovision in the midst of their financial crisis. Ela! I predict a top 10, haha. And it’s quite catchy after all. 4

Hungary – is the sort of country that we all like to see sending folk music. The song tells the story well, but I'm not convinced this is the sort of tune one sends to a competition. More suitable for a movie soundtrack? 3

Iceland -  Folk-like sounds featuring Jónsi? Anytime! A strong Scandinavian contender. Not sure it will reach the top 10 though, but personally I like it 4

Ireland – the unquestionable charm of this twosome isn’t strong enough for an encore, mainly because I don’t think the song is as strong as last year’s. It will be fun to watch though. Perfect soundtrack for a teenage series. 3

Israel – now, here’s my first five points! Just love it, so retro, so fresh, so naughty! I do hope this gets through to the final. The whole of Europe deserves such entertainment. 5

Latvia – I really didn’t get this when I first heard it, but its naivety and bitter humour is actually well matched to an irresistibly catchy tune. This is the first time I like a song that mocks the ESC! 3

Moldova – sounds ok, not offensive but I don’t think this is Moldova’s year. 2

Montenegro – you are going to kill me, but I quite like the arrangements in this track, especially the percussion, and I really want to see it in the final! 4

Romania -  plays its cards intelligently. They will definitely secure a 12 from Spain this year. Lots of Spaniards like this one, and I predict a better placement for this one than for the Cypriot song. 4

Russia – Cute as the grannies might be, this is not a serious performance, and I do believe a Russian victory this year would be tragic for the ESC. 0

San Marino – I have tried to listen to this objectively, but I still don’t get it. What was Siegel thinking? 1

Switzerland – I am usually keen to vote for Swiss songs, but this one does not have the E factor. Pleasant enough, just not my style 2.5

Semifinal 2

Belarus - Silly costumes aside, Belarus does for me what Switzerland does not, and I am quite happy to listen to it again, despite its predictability 3.5

Bosnia & Herzegovina – a beautifully sung song with a nice melody. Somehow I feel there are easier ballads to the ear this year. 3

Bulgaria – I find this type of song hard to digest. Mariana Popova, we miss you! 2

Croatia – A lovely ballad from the Balkans. 3

Estonia – a great male voice, although somehow this does not feel as contemporary as, say, Germany this year. 3

Macedonia – Another lovely ballad (which turns mid tempo) from the Balkans. 2

Georgia – I have tried to like this high-energy song. Perhaps I am getting old… 1

Lithuania – Donny, whatever you do on the night please, please, remove the blindfold and avoid the flip. You are a talented young man, but we actually want to watch you sing, not perform a melodrama! 3.5

Malta – Strangely dated, although Kurt Calleja’s vocal technique reminds me of a young Jon Secada. The lyric’s beginning is a bit unfortunate (‘Hey, look at me!’) and it does put me off for the rest of the song:   2

Norway – a serious contender, I predict a top five for the new Eric Saade. Of all the high-energy numbers, I find this one the most contemporary. 4

Portugal – C’mon, how can I not like the Portuguese song? I am Spanish after all, and a great fan of Babic. I am giving this one four points, as I am definitely not objective in my judgement. Not quite a Senhora Do Mar though. 4

Serbia – here is my second five of the night. It’s Zeljko. Enough said. Too many ingredients on this cake, however, and I suspect the new listener might not get the overall picture but rather a sequence of musically very interesting parts. 5

Slovakia – I love a good rock number, and this one is as good as any other. I predict a good performance on the stage, and I’d like to see Max qualify. 4

Sweden – possibly a winner, although I am not so sure this style will appeal to the broader audiences. The choreography is fascinating and does support the song brilliantly. Loreen has talent and technique. Definitely a top three. 4

The Netherlands – I predict the highest score for a long time for the Netherlands. I do hope so. Such a lovely tune! 4

Turkey – I find this one of the weakest Turkish entries for years. It seems fitter for a musical than for a song in its own right. 2

Ukraine – I am always weary of videos that provide Diva treatment for the singer they are trying to promote. The song sounds so similar to many other songs… This could be Ukraine’s first big fall. 1

Big5+1

Azerbaijan – a great song from the host country. I do believe this will do very well indeed. Personally I wouldn’t mind if they won again. 4

France – I love the fact that France continues to take risks. I do not think this song will win but I look forward to the stage performance. 3

Germany – I can see this going all the way! Germany continues to reinvent itself and sends contemporary stuff to the ESC, leaving Siegel no option but to try for San Marino! 5

Italy – I am still trying to recover from the fact that Per Sempre won’t compete this year. It was one of my favourites. By contrast, I regard L’amore é femmina as a bitter disappointment. 2

Spain – the fact that this is the best we have sent in years does not mean it will win the contest. Unfortunately all Spanish fans believe otherwise. I wish Pastora well, but her voice range does not sit comfortably in this song, it’s just not her style, and Germany will perform straight after… I do hope for a top ten though. 4

United Kingdom – I would only be too happy if this won! A heart-felt tune sung by a true gentleman. Unlike Russian, this is pure class and quality. I wish him well. Shame he will sing in first place. Nevertheless, beware! It’s a lucky position for the UK. Remember 1976? Definitely 5 points.

Here is my top ten:
  1. UK
  2. Israel
  3. Serbia
  4. Germany
  5. Azerbaijan
  6. Albania
  7. Sweden
  8. Norway
  9. Spain
  10.  Portugal
 And here is how I think it will end up
  1. Germany
  2. Russia
  3. Sweden
  4. Azerbaijan
  5. Norway
  6. Serbia
  7. UK
  8. Greece
  9. Romania
  10. Italy
Enjoy the show!

Comments

embry said…
Charlotte Perrelli here. Really? Are you THAT naive to say that Germany will win again??? I like the song, but EBU will not allow it even if the whole Europe will vote for it!! Since corruption and lack of fair play has infected EBU, has any country won twice in a row and I don't know it??? Secondly, Romania(meaning WE) has a weak song. Is a typical romanian clubbing song that sounds pretty cheap and chatchy on the recording, but live it loses its spark. And what happens when other 15 country will perform after you??? We wil move to the finals cause we have a strong diasspora(including your home country). Once again I must notice your poor taste for ballads. After "This is my life" mow you come with Danemark. Let me tell you something- In music is not enough for a ballad to sound beautifull, have nice lyrics and melody. If the song doesn't reach to a certain tension, doesn't explode then it has no CHARM. My favorite is Serbia, but I think Sweden will win it, even though I don't understand what is soo good about it??? But since Hera Bjork wrote on her FB that the MF winning song is great and Carola + Charlotte Perrelli say the same thing...then be it! I don't expect to answer to my comment I'll be happy if you will approve it, though I don't expect that either.
embry said…
I was wrong when I said about Germany there. I meant Azerbaijan to win it twice in a row. But the same thing can be said about Germany, is too early to win it again!
Ilkar Blogilkar said…
Are you referring to this blogger who loved This is my life or the guest writer of this review?
embry said…
BOTH:)). What do you think about the review?
Ilkar Blogilkar said…
And what comes to approving the comments I always do when they are written in a good and polite matter, not accusing and hating other countries, songs, singers or blaming the politics or EBU, or this blogger. Or have at least something to do with the post they are referring to. Otherwise they are deleted as useless crap. My blog, my policy.
embry said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ilkar Blogilkar said…
It is Rafael's review and his opinions. I don't agree with everything and I don't have to. You can't argue in questions of taste. He might love the song I love and the other way round. Same with you. Variety is the spice of life. I don't have to agree with him to publish it. I'm grateful for him doing it.

Popular posts from this blog

ESC 2016 WISH LIST: MARGARET FOR POLAND

Małgorzata Jamroży aka Margaret has also been tipped for Eurovision and apparently she did turn it down but she'd be perfect. She's got a look and persona you can't unnotice nor forget, she's got hit songs, she has been voted or nominated for everything from Trendy artist to the Hope of the Year, Fashion Icon and Glamour Woman of the year besides the usual best video, song, album, debut..... Oh she's also a fashion designer! She's very clever with social medias and would surely use it to her advantage if selected for Stockholm 2016. Her debut album is titled Add the blonde , do we need to say more? Except it includes mostly Swedish written pop tunes like Tell me how are ya , Wasted , Start a fire and Heartbeat . And of course her debut single and internationally noticed Thank you very much that you can enjoy below with all its anti-textil feel. I think she's Eurovision perfection, she's cheeky and fun, can we have her?

SONGS OF THE YEAR 2015: #5 KRISTA SIEGFRIDS - ON & OFF

Krista Siegfrids is delivering nice pop tunes one after another and this one is particularly catchy and soon you will be singing along..... Hopefully her Melodifestivalen entry will be equally good!

ESC 2013: SERBIA'S BIG GUNS

Serbia is one of the most succesful Eurovision countries in the recent years and this blogger 's favorites. This year I am again very curiously waiting for their entry and what they will offer us when they have a national final once again after last year's internal selection. Many bigger and smaller names have been rumored to have sent a song, or have confirmed so themselves. Among then a 63-year-old disco diva Neda Ukraden , Eurovision veteran Vukašin Brajić 's OT Band, Danijel Pavlovic who is Marija Serifovic's step-brother, national final veteran Ana Nikolic and other names like Nenad Cvijetic , Dejan Petrovic, Zejna , Ivana Pavkovic , Vanja Mijatovic .... Let's see who really are in when the final 15 out of 80 will be announced for the March 2, 2013 final. These 15 will be cut to five for the superfinal by televoting. Then we have Bojan Bjelic , who apparently was sending his song Mora before he decided not to blaming the contest is fixed and Serbian

Et voilà! Anggun presents Echo (You and I)

So today we finally heard the French entry in Eurovision 2012 in Baku by Anggun. Echo (You and I ) is rather bizarre mix of many things and just when you think you get it the songs takes a turn to another direction. Whistling all along. Very catchy it is. Call it an earworm if you want. Still I wouldn't scream a winning entry but... we will see. In Patricia Kaas like ending me thinks.

ESC 2016 BELARUS: NAKED WITH WOLVES?

Today's funniest Eurovision related story comes from Belarus. Some sources claim Ivan wants to perform on stage naked and with live wolf or wolves. It surely would be a first on Eurovision stage! We have seen some forgotten underwear over the years, and some cardbox animals though..... Is it time to take things a bit further?  No, according the rules live animals are not allowed, and Eurovision being a family show nudity won't do either. (It seems to be ok to be half naked if you are a dancer though..... )

GOODBYE, FAREWELL...

The time has come. After all these years, 5,7 million visits, 12.000 articles I guess the time has come. As much as I love and care for Eurovision it just doesn't feel the same. The Corona years took their toll and the past two years and certain decisions have helped me to mature the idea that next year I will hear the songs for the first time in semi-final just like any so called local.  The bubble has burst. Add the toxicity in social medias and fandom. The arrogant teenagers who saw their first contest somewhere 2017 or even 2021 who think they know it all and only their opinion matters. Did I mention the toxic atmosphere on social medias? I'm too old for that sh*t. It's been a long ride that took me to various Eurovision on spot as a fan and tourist,  as a journalist, as a delegation member. I met some great people, made memories of lifetime. In stressful, sad periods of my life this blog has been my safe place, a place to escape and forget everything else for an hour o

Summer songs: Samantha Fox & Sabrina - Call me

Summertime is the time for cover versions and remixes. The late 1980's war of the boombs is over when Samantha and Sabrina put their bras together and cover Blondie's Call me in peace and harmony. Amore, chiamami!

Blogilkar Exclusive: RAMBO AMADEUS INTERVIEW

My flying reporter Robert met Rambo Amadeus in his hotel this morning and what an interesting and entertaining meet it was! Unfortunately the time wasn't enough as this man has lots to tell about many topics. However, here are the main things! Thank you Rambo for this interview and first of all, how an earth Montenegro wanted you to represent them in Eurovision? I don't know! I really don't know. I didn't want to ask any questions why they wanted me. So they came to you, you didn't go to them? Of course. Everybody comes to me..... And everybody knows you and that you are bit, maybe a lot, Eurovision skeptic. Why did they come to you then? Well, I think they want the audience to pay attention to them? I think the new, young and ambitious director of RTCG decided to do some kind of shock therapy. He probably thinks there's nothing to lose. I asked him "Are you sure? Do you know my work?" and he said yes. I think they are learning how to g

GREECE: HELENA PAPARIZOU HITS AGAIN WITH HAIDE

Eurovision song contest 2005 winner Helena Paparizou has been enjoying Top-5 hits every year since 2003 with the exception of 2010 and 2014, this latest one being already her 27th! And Haide is charting also in Bulgaria and Finland, of all places. The catchiness of her hits has changed less over the years than her face....  Here's the English version , below the Greek version. 

EUROVISION 2024.... COMING UP!